Sunday, November 2, 2008

She took a bottle!!!!

Bela just took 20 mls from a bottle!! I know that's less than an ounce, but that is HUGE for us!! I can't believe how happy it made me to give her a bottle and have her take it. This is only the second time she has even sucked on a bottle, the first time tho it was only a couple seconds. The only way I can get her to take any is if I go in while she is sleeping during the night, pick her up and offer it to her while she is pretty much out of it. If I offer it to her during the day she won't take it. I used to think she just forgot how to drink from a bottle, but now I know that she knows, she's just being stubborn and dosn't want to take it.. :) Actually, I think she is scared of drinking from a bottle because of all the vomiting she does. I was told at my last apt that I should probably just give up the bottle feeding and work on the spoon feeding, but I just couldn't do that. If I can just get her to take the bottle with thickened milk, we can get her tube out sooner. So I kept at it, and I am so hopeful that she'll get it. She is doing better at the spoon feeding too. She will have a really good eating day, then the next day she'll vomit the second the tiniest taste of food hits her lip like she complelety forgot how to do it. It's been a couple months that we've been working on it, and she has made good progress. She used to vomit every time and scream. Now she will actually take a couple bites if I work her in slowly enough and if she gets enough praise while she's doing it. She's high maintenance even while eating... But she is getting over her fears little by little. She still gags when I stick a bite in her mouth, but most of the time lately it dosn't end in vomiting.
I have SOO much to update, and new pictures to post, but I just had to document this night.. I havn't been this excited in a long time!

22 comments:

Mandy said...

YEAH!! I'm so happy to hear that. I'm glad you kept with it and followed your mother's intuition. 99.9% of the time were right anyways, right?

Lindsay Dean said...

GO BELA!!!! Keep chuggin' away heart sister!
Love, Lindsay

S and K said...

That is SO GOOD! Look at you sticking with it....that is pretty impressive as well you know!!! Keep up the good progress Bela!

Victoria said...

Yay for Bela! She can do it...

familyof4 said...

Hi there. I was blog hopping and came across your blog through a few other blogs with children with heart problems. My daughter had open heart surgery when she was 3 months old. She will be turning 3 on Nov 21. I wish the best for Bela and hope everything keeps getting better.

Here is my blog.
http://wood-family01.blogspot.com

my blog is private so if you'd like to be added email at wonderland82@ymail.com. I also saw you had kellie yeates on your list. Her and I grew up together. Small world. =) Take Care.

ashley said...

good job bella! baby steps, huge excitement! your amazing ave!

The Tams Family said...

Awesome! Keep up the good work...she'll get there faster than you know.
Stacey

Shannon said...

Congratulations! What great news!

Auburn said...

Yeah! So happy to share in your joy. Way to go Bela!

Lindsay Brummer said...

YAY!!! That is so great Avery. You are an awesome mom.

The Simmons Family said...

WAY TO GO BElA!!! I want to jump through the screen and celebrate with you!! Owen took 20cc's out of a sippy cup last week and I called everyone I knew!! It's so fantastic!! I am so sick of that darn tube. They'll figure it out soon enough and in the meantime... we will celebrate their little milestones!! I think we live pretty close to you (Higley/Frye)... we should get the babies together sometime!

Andrea

La said...

So wonderful. sweet bela boo. How did the swallow test go?

Dallas and Krista said...

Hooray for Bela! Krew gagged like that too. For SOO long. It made me want to gag with him :)

The Silly Nilly Family said...

Incredible news.

Anonymous said...

That is so great! She's such a babe, high maitenance and all! It's been so good to see you out and about more often!

lundgrenville said...

The Littlest of progress seems like the biggest leaps! That news is the best news yet. Go Bella! The prayers are working.
Keep on fighting little Angel!
Many thoughts and prayers in your behalf.
I have yet to meet you and that sweet little Bela...but I just love that little gal!
Give her a squeeze & a kiss for me!

Hugs:)

Sheri Lee said...

Way to go Bela!

Stu and Angie Milne said...

That's awesome! way to go bels! Thanksgiving needs to come faster!!!

Anonymous said...

Wow - what a great accomplishment. It's wonderful to hear all the happiness in what you write. You and Bela and your boys :> are in our family prayers every night. I know it's trite and you probably hear this all the time, but Bela is a blessing to you BUT YOU are such a blessing to her, Avery. What a lucky lovely girl to have you for her mother. Angela in Kansas

Evie's Story said...

Thats a huge accomplishment. know you're so happy for these baby steps forward. What a strong little girl!

Heart hugs from Evie!

The Zemp Family said...

I am so happy! You amaze me with your love and patience.

Mimi said...

oh YAY!!! That is wonderful. Good job little Bela!

She is so precious- and I love the "fresh out of the shower" hair- so cute! Mia's hair would do that... until they shaved it :-( aargghhhh!

She really is darling- so happy she is one step closer to being tubeless.