Monday, April 7, 2008

Back in the hospital



Well...we've found ourselves back in the hospital a whole lot sooner than we planned on. Our nice, quiet time at home didn't last too long. On Saturday night Bela started being really fussy and irritable, not like herself. She continued to be that way all night long and into the morning on Saturday. She threw up twice, wasn't eating as good, and was very upset. It seemed her stomach was really upset. Which of course freaked us out given that a lot can go wrong with her gut and bowel. We weren't sure what was going on so we called and they said bring her in. We got here about noon yesterday and had to go into the ER...not a great experience. They ran every test imaginable and eventually they moved us back up to the cardiac ICU. We like it here much better. So far the lab work, xrays, ultrasounds, and other tests have all come back okay. Her heart which was the main concern looks good. Her EKG test (her heart rythms) came back a little different the first time they took it, and so they were a bit concerned, but they have been doing one every 6 hours and they are looking better now. Her xray did show lots of gas in her tummy, so they're thinking it might just be that making her upset. Her lab work showed no virus or infection...another great thing. They're starting to just use the word colicky which I hate because it dosn't explain or answer anything. I've always hated that because I like to know exactly what is wrong. Anyway, they want to keep us here through the week or so just to keep a close eye on her and try and figure out whats making her so uncomfortable. She got a big girl crib this time, but prefers to be in the bouncy seat. The nurse brought it in for her a little while ago and she's been sooo much more peaceful since then.

We hope to be back home soon. Hopefully they'll continue to find nothing really wrong with her. We just wanted to be safe, we don't take any chances with her. It's hard to see her all hooked back up to wires and machines and poked with needles again, but I guess I better start getting used to it...
Other than this little incident, Bela has been doing really well. Her only real concern remains gaining weight. She finally hit 7 lbs today. Here's some pictures of her the last few days..




And then there's Benson.. sorry if this is offensive material to anyone...but i just think it's funny. We're attempting to potty train so he had no diaper on. He was oblivious that half of his 'bum bum' as he calls it was hanging out. He's a character.


A quick update on baby Gracie that I wrote about in my last post... she is an absolute miracle and has come off the ECMO machine and her heart is still beating away!! It's another example of what the power of the priesthood and prayer can do. They've never seen a baby in such fragile condition come off the machine not only with their heart beating but seemingly improving every day. Keep on fighting Gracie girl!!

20 comments:

The Ridgway Family said...

I sure hope they find nothing at all wrong with Bela. I am sorry that you are back in the hospital. She is so cute and I am so happy for you that she is doing so well. We continue to think and pray for you all.
Love, Keisa

jillian said...

she is SOOO beautiful! She has the prettiest eyes ever!

Sally Jensen Interiors said...

The pictures of her in white are just precious. Congrats on 7 lbs! I'm glad things seem to be good...let me know if you need anything and when you're home.

S and K said...

I'm sorry to hear you're back in the hospital, but I'm glad to hear that nothing major is going on with little Bela---or big 7 lb. Bela I should say! :) Do let me know if I can be of any help in any way!!!

Unknown said...

It's so good that they're being cautious and keeping her in there until she's feeling 100% better. Hooray on hitting 7 lbs! I can't believe how adorable she is. Keeps getting cuter and cuter!

Matt and Jennae Porter said...

Oops... that last post was the Porters! I didn't realize my sister was signed in! Sorry =)

Dana said...

I am sorry you are back in the hospital, but am grateful that all her tests have come back looking good! I love that photo of Benson and his "bum bum!!" Keep us posted on how you are all doing :0)

Chelsea said...

Those pictures of Bela are so cute. She looks like Tanner. Hope all goes well this week. We're thinking about you guys! Love you!!

The Simmons Family said...

Sorry to hear that Bela is back in the hospital. We too are back in the PICU for Owen (HLHS), but at Phx Children's.... for the EXACT same reason as Bela. Cranky and tummy issues but everything is coming back negative. It's nice to have them watch over and monitor them and have all tests come back negative, but I also just want to be home! I hope Bela has a speedy recovery and is discharged soon!

Wendy said...

I'm sorry that you're back in the hospital, but it's better to be safe!!! I think she is so cute!!! I love her hair! I'm happy that she's gaining some weight. I'm sure she'll be out of there in no time... we'll keep praying!

Marianne said...

Bela is such a little angel and I am so glad that they are not finding anything too serious. I love your updates and Benson is the cutest!!

Anonymous said...

Oh, her face is just so cute! I'm glad that nothing is wrong so far. Hopefully she will get to go home soon.

Ali said...

Darn. But thats good that nothing major is happening. yes, please call if theres anything I can do. lots of love and prayers.

cait said...

i am dying over that picture of benson's bum-bum, and the one of him holding bela...such a darling duo.

Rachael Earl said...

I'm not sure if you can give her anything or not, but Hyland's Colic Tablets are the best for gas...they're homeopathic, all natural-they sell them at Bashas and Amazon. Our little one is really gassy, too. Glad she's doing well!!!

The Andersens said...

definitely no fun to be back in the hospital. but definitely better to be safe than sorry. i'm glad to hear she doesn't have any infections or anything. that's definitely good news!! i hope she gets to come home again soon!

Erin said...

We were sorry to hear you guys were back in the hospital, but very relieved that there appears to be no real problems with Bela. She is such a sweet little girl and has a great big brother watching over her (in more ways than one). Glad to hear she is gaining weight, we will pray it continues. Take care and hope to see you home soon.

Branton Family said...

I am so sorry to hear Bela is back in the hospital. Please know we are praying for her. I had to bring Zach in today, as he has a viral infection. He was almost admitted but I got to bring him home, as he had no fever. We will be admitted if it gets any worse over the next few days. I really like you all as neighbors, but I think we both agree a play date would be so much better than seeing one another in the PCT ICU again! Please take care and keep us posted on Bela. Amy

Dallas and Krista said...

Wow Ave. To think i was gonna stop by your house today... First of all she is so so really truly beautiful! Secondly, you are a super mom for sure. All of this with a possible case of Colick and potty training on top?? Man, Oh Man. It takes a saint I tell you. We'll keep Bela in our prayers. Let me know if Benson can come over to play.

Anonymous said...

Oh that's too bad you had to take her in but good news that everything is looking okay for the most part. I hate the word Colicky too. Ellah was colicky for at least a year. Anyways she is now over 2 and still seems to have stomach issues, I just took her off milk and it has made all the difference (just a thought in case there isn't anything else you can figure out). I can't believe how beautiful Bela is, she is so precious. I love Bensons potty training picture.