Wednesday, September 23, 2009

This shirt

At my baby shower for Bela I got gas cards, gift cards, books to read at the hospital, things that you'd get someone in my situation. I mean.. what do you get someone that isn't sure if the baby will live or not?

I also got this shirt..




It is a size 12 month. I don't think I've ever said anything to the person that gave it to me, but getting this shirt meant so much . 12 months! At the time I could only dream and hope that she would someday wear a size 12 month shirt. I hung that shirt in her closet.. it was my hope shirt.


The day it fit her was a day of pure joy for me! We went down to the park that day and saw some friends.. I wanted to share the significance of that little shirt she was wearing, share what that REALLY meant. She has worn this shirt many many times over the last few months. She spilled on it and got it dirty, just like she should. And yesterday I just put this shirt away in a box with all the other clothes that Bela has grown out of..

Amazing...

18 comments:

Nicole said...

This is amazing! I love this post. I am so glad she grew into it and now out of it :) Isn't amazing how such a small gesture can mean so much?

Auburn said...

love that . . . love it when you post . . . always makes my day.

Stu and Angie Milne said...

oh ave, that is so sweet. so excited that little bels is getting bigger! i almost DIED when i saw her walking for the first time, what a big girl!

Becca said...

Hi, Ellie's mom here. We are in the heart family. It's amazing how those little gestures that mean so much. We had a stillborn baby girl before Ellie and it meant so much to me when people acknowledged what happened even if it was hard to deal with. So many people acted like it never happened. And I know they did that to spare my feelings. The "shirt" can give us so much hope. I'm glad she got a chance to wear it. I have a pair of shoes that I can't wait to put on Ellie.

La said...

crying. love bela so much!! and the rest of you too. but probably not in the same way ;)

nicole said...

I love this post. Bela is amazing!

The Simmons Family said...

That's a great story!! I couldn't do a baby shower, buy any baby things, not even one single outfit. I didn't want to get my hopes up. These kiddos sure did show us how strong they really are! Bela is so beautiful!

ashley said...

that is so neat! who knew a cute little shirt could mean so much!

Deborah said...

that really is amazing and i am so happy for you guys and bela's zest for life. this little story made me tear up. she is such a special spirit but you already know that :)

likeschocolate said...

Yahoo! You gotta love moments like these!

caitlin wilson said...

this made me cry. i actually wondered what the shirt looked like when you told me about it. she is so darling, love her & you.

emcghee said...

:)

Lisa said...

This is such a sweet post. I love that Bela has now outgrown the shirt. She is getting so big!

The Silly Nilly Family said...

That's really cool.

Evies Story said...

PRecious story! Thanks for sharing! What a momentous occasion it will be when she graduates from college...Looking forward to following her journey. What a strong girl!

S and K said...

You little stinker, why do you have to make me cry with your posts! I'm naming this one my FAVORITE! It is quite the accomplishment that is for sure! Love that little girl so much, and her mommy too! :)

Dallas and Krista said...

I have chills.

Jeanette Lefrandt said...

What a little beauty that Bela is becoming! You and Tanner are amazing Ave! Hope you know there are people in Utah thinking of you :) xo